We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
There are many fun and easy ways to decorate on the cheap.
Here are some things ideas…
Hang Things You Already Own
Look through your belongings. Instead of packing away your favorite belongings, find ways to display them.
- Display your wedding dress or ethnic costumes in shadow boxes.
- Hang family photos in collage arrangements with small decorative mirrors.
- You can even hang empty frames that look fun and interesting.
- Choose an area in your home office or computer area and hang your diplomas and awards.
- Look for old windows, wagon wheels, iron gates, or other interesting pieces from your basement (or the local salvage yard) to hang on your walls.
Make Your Own Wall Decor
Whether you consider yourself artistically talented or not, you can create your own artwork for your walls:
- Use things like hinges and boards of wood to create your own room dividers, which you can paint with the help of stencils.
- Purchase large art canvases and throw paint-filled balloons at it for an abstract design.
- Cover a canvas with excess fabric to hang on your walls.
Visit Your Local Thrift Store
- Thrift stores have a ton of artwork. Most of it is very inexpensive. And much of it is largely ignored. While some of the artwork is, admittedly, quite ugly and useless, occasionally you will find a valuable piece in the mix.
- In addition, you will find that the frames that some of these pieces are in, if nothing else, would be great for hanging your own photographs and homemade artwork.
I have been a certified tightwad striving for financial freedom since I became pregnant with my first child — and I decided to find a way to stay home with him full-time. I enjoy sharing my personal experiences in my journey back to financial health and planning for a future — which will include sending 2 kids to college and early retirement.